Evan Peters, Alexandra Shipp, and Kodi Smit McPhee Talk ‘Dark Phoenix’ and Disneyland
Last weekend at WonderCon, I sat down with Evan Peters, Alexandra Shipp, and Kodi Smit McPhee to talk about Dark Phoenix. During the wide-ranging conversation, we discussed how Dark Phoenix differs from previous X-Men movies, the fun of filming the X-Jet scene, what it was like working with writer-director Simon Kinberg, if the cast ever went out for drinks/dinner while shooting, what they’ll always remember from making the movie, their favorite ride at Disneyland, and so much more.
As most of you already know, the next X-Men sequel adapts the famous Dark Phoenix comics arc, with Sophie Turner filling the role of Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix while Jessica Chastain plays a mysterious (and perhaps otherworldly) character. The film also sees Michael Fassbenderreturn as Magneto alongside Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Red Lotus (Andrew Stehlin), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Selene (Kota Eberhardt). Main players Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Quicksilver (Evan Peters), and Cyclops (Tye Sheridan) return. Dark Phoenix arrives in theaters on June 7th.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by the official synopsis.
Evan Peters, Alexandra Shipp, Kodi Smit McPhee:
- How many times have they been to Comic-Con/WonderCon?
- Do they geek out about anything?
- What did Simon Kinberg bring to the film that hasn’t been seen before?
- How does the film feature the characters interacting?
- What’s a day or two they will always remember from making Dark Phoenix?
- Have they asked for an annual passport to Disneyland yet?
- What is their favorite ride at Disneyland?
- Does the entire cast ever go out together to a bar or for food?
- What is it really like making Dark Phoenix and Kodi Smit McPhee goes into detail about what it really takes to play Nightcrawler.
Here is the official synopsis for Dark Phoenix:
In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling out of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite — not only to save Jean’s soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.